Schaustelle at Pinakothek Museum | Galvanizers Association
Temporary exhibition space

Schaustelle at Pinakothek Museum

When Munich‘s Pinakothek der Moderne art museum required a seven-month renovation earlier this year, it was the perfect opportunity to create a new, temporary space to house exhibitions and events during its closure.

temp-ex-landscape

Berlin architect Jürgen Mayer H. was selected for the task and the design he chose was a novel structure made almost entirely from modular, hot dip galvanized scaffolding. Referred to as ‘Schaustelle’, the Exhibition Centre was located directly adjacent to the existing museum building and was a skeletal three-storey structure. With a surface area of 615 square metres and accommodating up to 513 people at one time, the ground floor of Schaustelle contained a large exhibition space, and its mostly transparent facade allowed visitors to walk around the indoor space while still glimpsing views of the surrounding city. Staircases ran along the edges of the structure, leading visitors to the 17metre-high viewing platform. Constructed from scaffolding and other reusable elements, the temporary structure was disassembled for recycling once the Pinakothek reopened in September.

Architect: Jürgen Mayer H.

Image: Rainer Viertlböck and Dennis Bangert

Posted on January 3, 2014 by untitled

Read next…

Bus Station Haldensleben

The new central bus station in the town of Haldensleben gracefully fills a void that gives shape to what had until recently been an abandoned site in front of the main railway station. The requirement for sheltered links between bus…

Read more

Cory Environmental Centre

The Cory Environmental Visitor Centre within the Thurrock Thameside Nature Park was a design competition won by van Heyningen and Haward Architects. The area is a new, green wildlife space created on the restored Stanford-le-Hope and Tilbury landfill site. It…

Read more

Düppel Prison, Berlin

Düppel prison, designed by MGF Architekten, stands in the heart of the Berlin suburb of Zehlendorf. Unusually located close to the city centre, it is approached via an avenue lined with mature trees. With their design, MGF Architekten have moved…

Read more

Galvanizing Delight

Sandsfoot Castle was built by Henry VIII between 1539 and 1541 to work with Portland Castle to protect the waters of the Portland Roads against the threat of foreign invasion. Standing on the cliff edge, the castle has been under…

Read more